From Humble Beginnings to one of the Largest in Texas.
In the early 1960’s a group of concerned Methodist church leaders -within the Northwest Texas Conference- met to discuss how they could take care of their aging Methodist Ministers. This group determined there was a need for a congregational “home” for these ministers and their spouses. A home where these men and women could retire in comfort and safety. Many prominent leaders stepped forward to help with two ranching families, the Frank Sears and John Sears family leading the way. In 1966 the dream became a reality and the foundation of the Sears Methodist Retirement System was laid.
The first Sears retirement community was born in Abilene, Texas.
Sears Methodist Retirement System Inc., (SMRS) has grown from this humble beginning into one of the largest providers of senior living in Texas.
Four decades later, we serve over 1500 residents on eleven retirement campuses in eight cities, with continued growth on the horizon.
Sears Methodist Retirement System, Inc. is a 501(c)(3), nonprofit corporation and is the parent corporation of the Sears system, providing strategic planning and management for all of our operating corporations.
The Sears Methodist Retirement System operating corporations include:
- Sears Methodist Centers, Inc. (Abilene)
- Sears Panhandle Retirement Corporation (Amarillo)
- Sears Permian Retirement Corporation (Odessa)
- Odessa Methodist Housing, Inc. (Odessa)
- Sears Brazos Retirement Corporation (Waco)
- Sears Plains Retirement Corporation (Lubbock)
- Sears Tyler Methodist Retirement Corporation (Tyler)
- Sears Caprock Retirement Corporation (Abilene)
- Sears Methodist Foundation (Abilene)
- Senior Dimensions, Inc. (Austin)
- Texas Senior Management, Inc. (Austin)
- Canyons Senior Living, LP (Amarillo)
- Sears Methodist Retirement System, Inc.